Monday, April 16, 2012

These are not my words and I apologize to the person who I clipped this from... As a general rule, I try and avoid making trips to Wal-Mart. If I have to go, however, besides the pure entertainment value in people watching there, I inevitably end up getting frustrated at the check-out counter due to combination of a long line and my short attention span. We have a Super Wal-Mart near our home, so when I go to check out, there are about sixteen lanes at the front of the store to make the process as efficient as possible. The problem is, that for whatever reason, nearly every time I go there are only two of them open. Sure, there are those self-service lanes, but no one ever uses those because they know that they don't work. Instead, there usually are about twelve of us (somehow it always works out that everyone finishes at the same time) that end up waiting in those two lanes and we're all thinking the same thing. "Open up some lanes!" All too often I feel that same frustration when I look at the state of church planting today. Again, I aplogize for clipping this, however, these are the thoughts I have had for a very long time. In this age of competition, churches often make me think of the frys, Safeway, Wal-mart competition in the Phoenix area. go big or stay home. This is how we do super market shopping. I am so happy that people are recognizing that big is not always the best. That the larger the store does not always mean that the store is better. Because when it come to checking out... taking the goods and making them work, there are just not enough check out stands and the frustrations forever out weigh the positive. I knwo church is not about good feelings and frustrations, but the fact is that churches need to make each "patron" a disciple and not a satisfied customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment