Wednesday, June 2, 2010

1909 - 2010



We were in California last week for my Grand mother's memorial service. Many of her grand children stood up and offered a memory of her. She was a dancer for many years. Ballroom champion as a matter of fact. I remember she was so happy when ballroom dancing was made a demonstration sport at the Atlanta Olympics.

She was a princess, all of her life. She demanded attention every time she walked into the room. These were a few of my thoughts from last week....

My grand mother was a dancer, a baker (her lemon bars were great), she sewed much of the costumes for her dance group, the Strutters, in her 90s.

She was born a Catholic. She did not follow the religion by their book. But she would never turn away from that religion. But, she was one woman who transcended her religion and had a tremendous faith. She was a prayer warrior. As I lost my religion, so to speak, she continued to pray for me. Her prayers were answered. In her last days, as the system was shutting down, she cried out to God. I asked her if she loved God and believed that Christ was her Savior. She knew she was dying and she made her peace with God.

She was wittty until the end. I did not get my love for sports from her. However, we shared a good sense of humor. I wont live to be 101. But we all can learn to live a life for god for as long as we do have from Bea Bea, my grand ma Bea.

No comments:

Post a Comment