Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mark Driscoll and Ricky Gervais: Why Is Offensive an Option?



I stopped following Mark Driscoll on Facebook awhile ago. It was just too much Mark on his posts. Then, I thought, if I delete his posts maybe I should delete a few others because of the same thing. So, I did. But that is a topic for another rant of randomness.

I dont follow Ricky Gervais either. He may be a very entertaining guy. I didn't know what he was up to until I saw the commercials and interviews leading up to the Golden Globes, a program I don't follow either. But I was intrigued by statments he made concerning how offensive he was going to try to be. My first thought was if you need to ask how offensive you can be, then you probably have gone too far already. But, I could be wrong.

I heard a few comments about his performance. He wasn't very good because he wasn't offensive enough. Oh my.

Mark Driscoll may be a gifted preacher, a man solid in his beliefs, a good leader and someday, may be a well-quoted teacher. However, I don't hear about him unless he offends someone. I don't mean offending a non-believer because he mentions Jesus. I mean offends the very same people who, apparently believe the same as him.

In entertainment where many people listen to you and take in what you say and mega-churches with great multi-media means for many people to listen to you and take in what you say, why is being controversial and offensive worn as a badge of courage?

Of course, I could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment