Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What's all This About Communion?

The other day during communion, I mistakenly took two little pieces of bread and dipped them into the cup. I wondered there for a second, "Did I just receive a double blessing?"

Then, I was brought back to reality and remembered this, as all things church, is not about me. I have always wondered why there are disagreements concerning the way we pause to remember the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord and Savior.

Some churches take pride in deciding to do communion once a year, on Good Friday because that is the day the disciples shared the first one with Jesus.

Then some churches believe that the cracker and wine is really the body of Jesus. They make the whole rigamarole a big rigamarole and protect every little crumb. Woe to those of us who do not believe that is so.

I went to a church that did communion on the first Sunday of every month, without fail. The deacons would sit up on the stage so we could see them drift off during the "communion meditation" which was code for a shorter sermon. I think it was because the pastor knew the deacons would drop off during a longer sermon. Then the deacons would pass the trays and collect the deacons offering.

I know of some churches who have communion as a part of their weekly services. Some take this as being extra spirtual because they do it so often.

No matter how it is observed, I wonder how many people actually, "Do This in Rememberance of Me". Jesus never said to do it on Sundays, Tuesdays or three times a week or year. He said to do it to remember Him. I like that alot more than debating on when to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment