Monday, August 30, 2010

OH GOD, revisited



I remember when the movie, The Last Temptation of Christ came out. It caused quite an uproar in churches. Pat Boone led demonstrations. Church groups picketed theaters that chose to show the movie. Athough some critics thought it was a good movie, it was not a blockbuster and all the picketing did was give the movie free publicity on the 6 oclock news.

About that same time, a movie called Oh, God came out. A comedy that depicted god as a wise-craking, cigar-smoking old man with cute glasses. It had some very funny parts to it and it was received well enough to have a sequel. I am not sure if the other movie about the cruxifiction of the savior had a sequel.

Someone finally pointed out the hypocricy of condemning a movie that depicted Jesus as being married and other unbiblical points and church people flocking to a movie depicting god as a wise cracking man with glasses.

I was thinking about that incident so many years go over the week end. I had a concern. But I guess I am the only one. I thought that it was odd, to me, that church people would condemn another religion building a building dedicated to a religion that isn't Christian while they embrace a wise-cracking man with glasses "preaching" a gospel that is not Biblical. The cutsey woman with morals and Christian beliefs embraced him as one of her own.

I guess I am the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment